Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Not only physically...but financially draining

I am lucky enough to live in Canada where a lot of my medical bills are covered by the lovely health coverage that is offered to all Canadian citizens. This means that the procedures, and anything that helped to diagnose me, were paid for by my government. This is great for me but I still end up paying a lot for anything extra. I pay for my visanne, nuvaring, pain killers, the healthy food I need in order to follow the 'endo diet'(clean eating basically), vitamins, clothing to fit my ever changing belly ect. These costs are roughly(including the food) about 300$ a month. And this amount is low compared to some other women who also suffer from endo. I recently asked some women whom belong to a support group that I am in to tell me roughly the costs that they have forked out to this disease so far. One women has paid over 20000$ so far to this disease, 800$ alone from last month(location USA). One women also just received a bill for her IUD which was for 24000$(location USA) which is such a crazy amount of money.One women specifically has spend thousands of dollars on just her supplements and food alone(Location UK) And to top these three ladies off...one women estimated that her costs would be over 200,000$ due to many surgeries, medications, ect if not for health insurance covering a lot of that amount(location USA).
Now seeing these numbers...just imagine if you lived in a place that didn't have their procedures covered by their government. Then think if you lived in this place and didn't have health insurance like many people don't have...and then finding out that you have endometriosis. A disease that takes years of tests to diagnose and that doesn't really have a cure, only temporary fixes that range from hormone medications, pain killers, and surgeries.
Just thinking about these amounts of money makes me cringe a little bit. I am very lucky to live where I live, but I am now seeing the real financial aspects of this disease. I am not uneducated and its not like I didn't, to some extent, know what other countries must pay for their procedures...but I never thought the amounts of money could be so high. I know the financial stress that this disease puts on me and my fiance...and my costs can't even be compared to most other women. I want to let other women know that they seem like superhero's compared to me. I can't even start to imagine the financial stress that this disease puts on them, let alone the other stresses that come with the financial. Am I blessed to live where I live...of course, but a lot of women aren't in my situation. An actual cure needs to be found for this disease...because it is financially killing so many people.





No comments:

Post a Comment